Translate

Saturday 14 October 2017

Day 8 of the Via de la Plata: Spain.

Day 8 of the Via de la Plata: Spain.

If you have been following my blog you will know from my previous write up that I am now walking the Camino Via de la Plata.

“What is the Via de la Plata”  It’s a Pilgrimage to Santiago in Spain.

The history of the Camino de Santiago goes back at the beginning of the 9th century (year 814)  moment of the discovery of the tomb of St James. “Who is St James” St James was apparently the Saint James the Greater, he was one of the disciples of Jesus.  He made a pilgrimage to the Iberian Peninsula to spread the word of Jesus. And so the pilgrimages  across Europe popped up and pilgrim's started there journey to St James tomb.

I started earlier this month after meeting a Pilgrim on his way to Santiago. In that moment I changed my plan and started the 1000km walk to Santiago. “Why you may ask”  I am traveling, I have no fix plan, I go with what feels right at that time. I am not walking it for any other reason, I had no planning, I had no quest or religious reason to do such a thing. I just thought in that time “yeah why not”  and so I started walking simple.

It has now been 8 days on the this ancient pilgrimage where many have walked in the name of  Jesus or whatever drives them to walk such distance.

It is very rural, the signs are sometimes a little hard to keep track of, other people who have walked this route way disagree .In the towns and villages you really do have to keep your eyes open, and I would say that some signs may have been tampered with to give different directions to certain accommodation. You do have to be quite aware of this. But there are many good apps that will show you the way along with description. Once you have had a few days on the camino everything becomes second nature to you.

“Don't stress just go for it your be fine”

Accommodation is available at each end of the day and you may also find accommodation in between the bigger days. You can find all of this information on the apps that the associations have created for you, it is all very straightforward and well organised from what I have seen. If you want personal space then bring your credit card, other wise get use to snoring and lights on at silly o’clock..”or take a tent”  

Local People on this particular camino are generally friendly and helpful, I guess they are not to over run like the neighbouring northern Caminos where Buen Camino, Hola” becomes a little irritating day in and day out with hundreds passing through day and night.

There is a fair bit of rubbish lying around the Camino, unfortunately a lot of Pilgrims feel that it is acceptable to leave their litter and toilet paper behind only thinking of themselves and their own quest on this journey.

“I believe all people who go out walking, hiking, or whatever activity they do should bag it and put it in the bin. You do it with dogs so what's the difference between man and beast” It’s pretty shameful if you ask me, used paper and drink bottles all over the place because of ignorance, Saying that you love nature, “come on seriously get a grip ! Would you do it in a town under the watchful eye !

Being in such a rural region is very peaceful and relaxing, it’s certainly a great feeling being out here finding your way through the farming areas and national parks. There are plenty of cattle so gates are extremely important throughout the walk and must be kept shut. The scenery is pleasant there is a lot of forest plantations and wild scrub land in the first 400km, a few hills but not mountains, depending on the time of year you may get your feet wet.

At the moment there has been a great water shortage I carry around 2 liters of water from point to point in temperatures that are around 30 degrees once the sun gets up. But you may need 3 depending on the temperature and how much you drink. I do carry a water filter with me that has helped a great deal, perhaps have a think about that. The tap water here, I have drank it, but it is very high in chlorine and fluoride. A decent water filter will eliminate a high percentage of this, by using one you will also have less of an impact on the environment along with keeping your cost down over time.

“Please think about the environment when you go traveling and your own carbon footprint”

What to take with you

Well everyone is very different, if I had planned for this trip then I would only be carrying 7kg with water and some food. I met a guy on a different camino a few months back he looked like he had just been into a hi- tec trekking shop and brought the latest goodess that he was very quickly regretting. Without being a snob, this is a walk you are not going to the Himalayas on your own. This is a marked out route there are shops where you can buy more kit if you really need to.

Personally it's like this - one set of clothes for walking one set of clothes for the evening. I can understand bringing a jumper of some sort and possibly a rain jacket. Any more than 8kg then have a strong think.  Go for a few very long walks first before you leave home. Of course if you're planning to camp out then it’s different. All my kit is 10 kg with water, food camping kit.

Before you leave home Walk with the kit that you're going to carry with you, I recommend you go on at least 4 big walks over varied terrain, walking around 10km with it. Stop occasionally go through your bag whilst out walking to look for stuff in your kit, doing this will help you understand how to pack.  Make sure you pack it correctly. Heavy kit always goes at the bottom that is generally rule. Whilst you have your pack on  make sure it feels part of you, you do not want it  hanging of you, make sure the pack is tight to your body. Most outdoor shops will sell you the bag saying it fits you but will not tell you how to wear and fit the bag to your body this is a different ball game.

So many people I see carry their packs completely wrong, it will ruin your back and days out, it will make you work harder.

Well this week that is all I am going to write about, hope some of this information helps you if you would like any more information drop me aline I realise I have left a great deal of information out.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment